Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Significantly Insignificant

Then turning toward the woman, [Jesus] said to Simon, "Do you see this woman? I entered your house; you gave me no water for my feet, but she has bathed my feet with her tears and dried them with her hair. You gave me no kiss, but from the time I came in she has not stopped kissing my feet. You did not anoint my head with oil, but she has anointed my feet with ointment. Therefore, I tell you, her sins, which were many, have been forgiven; hence she has shown great love. But the one to whom little is forgiven, loves little."

- Luke 7:44-47

Every spiritual master in every tradition talks about the significance of small things in a complex world. Small actions in social life, small efforts in the spiritual life, small moments in the personal life. All of them become great in the long run, but all of them look like little or nothing in themselves. One of my favorite writers, Steve Sjogren, says that "small things done with great love will change the world." So whether it's quietly and anonymously picking up someone's check at lunch today, lending an ear to a friend who has a problem, or just simply holding the door for someone, remember that small, seemingly insignificant things become holy moments in time when done out of a heart for Christ.

No comments: